NASA Wind Energy Airborne Harvesting System Study

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sticky: Nanotube

Pierre Benhaïem
Limited Member

Dear Mark Moore,

Nanotube technology for both tether and electrical cable can be a good solution to limit the weight and drag.What improvement can be expected in comparison with copper,in regard to the ratio weight/transmitted energy?

Regards,

Pierre Benhaïem

--

Pierre Benhaïem

March 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alex
Limited Member

Pierre Benhaïem at March 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Dear Mark Moore,

Nanotube technology for both tether and electrical cable can be a good solution to limit the weight and drag.What improvement can be expected in comparison with copper,in regard to the ratio weight/transmitted energy?

Regards,

Pierre Benhaïem

Bonjour!

I found it  rather difficult to compare new material concepts with established products. Nano tubes are working some how in the microscopic scale, but only the nano effects make them useful in the macro world (reinforcement of polyester matrix etc.). Are there any properties for macro scale - nano tube products available? Who knows hows, how these tiny structures may ever be prossesed into to yarns, cabels and what will be the decrease in strength and conductivity and what will be the effort? 

All is remember is: Aluminum is more suitable from the ratio weight / transmitted energy - In comparison to copper. But be aware of the increase in diameter and drag!

Cheers,

Alex. 

September 17, 2011 at 5:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Zwerius Kriegsman
Limited Member

Alex at September 17, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Pierre Benhaïem at March 3, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Dear Mark Moore,

Regards,

Pierre Benhaïem

Bonjour!

I found it  rather difficult to compare new material concepts with established products. Nano tubes are working some how in the microscopic scale, but only the nano effects make them useful in the macro world (reinforcement of polyester matrix etc.). Are there any properties for macro scale - nano tube products available? Who knows hows, how these tiny structures may ever be prossesed into to yarns, cabels and what will be the decrease in strength and conductivity and what will be the effort? 

All is remember is: Aluminum is more suitable from the ratio weight / transmitted energy - In comparison to copper. But be aware of the increase in diameter and drag!

Cheers,

Alex. 

Hello Alex,

There's also another problem with Aluminum: It's vulnerability to fatigue!

Regards,

Zwerius

February 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Justaguy
Limited Member

Hi, my name is Edmund.

And I have an idea that could make AWE kites more efficient and solve several problems facing the present kite systems we are using today.

What is the protocol, or steps I need to take to get this idea moving forward.

Please advise...

Thanks!

Edmund

September 22, 2013 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

3247 views - 0 comments
3963 views - 0 comments
2376 views - 0 comments
2688 views - 1 comment

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events